Saturday, February 7, 2015

#bodposfeb (5-7)

5) Treat yourself to a food you love.
I went to the diner near my apartment with my friend, Manny.  I had chicken croquettes because I wanted to try something new and my grandmother always gets them at diners.  The part of my meal that was "food I love" was canned beets and apple sauce.  I usually don't have apple sauce when I eat out because I feel like it's a little kid food, but I love apple sauce.  And I love canned beets so much that when I was in school and got good grades, my mother would give me a can of beets instead of money.  I know it sounds kinda sad, but I seriously love me some canned beets.  I think the point of today's challenge was to have a "guilty pleasure" food, but whatever whatever, I do what I want!

6) Treat yourself to an hour of self-care.
I wasn't sure what to do for this one: I'm not a pamper-y kinda person.  My hair was in bad need of a trim, so I badgered my mother into cutting it for me.  Having someone play with my hair is one of my top five favorite sensations, so I loved having my hair cut.  Almost five inches came off, and my hair feels much healthier.  The cut only took about half an hour, so I'm going to do another half an hour of self-care another day: I have a new body scrub on its way in the mail to me, and I'll exfoliate, shave my legs, and moisturize.  I never, never, do these kinds of "self indulgent" things any more.  Now that I can't go to school or work or even volunteer, I feel like I don't deserve relaxing moments, because why do I need to relax?  Of course, being a Bipolar Agorophobic with PTSD is actually pretty damn stressful.  Today's challenge was a good reminder to me that taking time to pamper my body makes me feel good, and how can that be a bad thing?  I've learned my first lesson from #bodposfeb!

7) Put a quote or picture up on your mirror that makes you feel confident.
I don't really have a go-to confidence inducing quote, so I went in a slightly different direction.  My quote is "then saw the tree tops, cocked her head and up and flew."  It's from the song Only Skin on Joanna Newsom's album Ys.  I actually plan on getting it tattooed on my bicep in the next few months.  The lyric is from a part of the song in which a bird flies into a window, and a woman carries the bird to a treehouse so that her dogs won't get at it.  She holds the bird in her hand, and the bird is so still that the woman thinks the bird is dead... Then it sees the trees, cocks its head, and flies away.  The entire song is very soothing to me, but that line in particular reminds me that surrounding myself with plants always gives me strength; even something as simple as watering the plants in my apartment helps with my anxiety.  The quote doesn't necessarily make me feel confident, but it makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment